Monday, February 11, 2008

God knows better...

Last week was a hard week for me. I struggled in my prayer life and I cried out to God that I did not understand...

A girl that I teach with, diane, has her office across the hall from my class and we always say hi. She just had her second child in October and I have enjoyed chatting about the various stages with children. Her girls are thre and newborn and mone are 10 and 12 now.

Over New Year's, Diane's husband was diagnosed with with a brain tumor.. bad location, growing fast, losing basic thinking and movement.. all in the space of weeks. A group of us teachers have been praying and Diane has been blogging about all of the experiences because it is an easy way to let everyone know what updates there are daily. About 2 weeks ago, Diane and Mike went to Duke to see if he could be a part of one of their Cancer trials. Just after arriving, Mike went downhill quickly, the tumor grew by 30% while they were in Durham and Mike ended up in ICU in a coma and the doctors said there was nothing they could d, that it was a matter of days.

I prayed diligently, but I found myself questioning God about this.. Why someone so young? why can't miracles happen? why should diane and the girls not have their husband and father? why can't these doctors so something more?

Diane decided to have Mike moved back to Columbia. There was nothing Duke could do, and she wanted to be home to deal with all of this. Finally, Diane got everything together to bring Mike home (insurance, ICU opening at Lexington, medical flight, etc..) I spent quite a while in prayer that night. And then I went to sleep. I woke up at 2:00 am. I knew something had happened, but did not know what. I felt a peace about Mike and Diane. All of this happened on Wednesday.

Starting on Thursday, Diane began to blog about small miracles. Mike regained consciesness before the flight. He woke up again in COlumbia. He started breathing on his own again. He recognized her and the girls, he spoke, he left ICU for a regular hospital room... the list keeps going on.

So basically, God waited until there was no hope... until Diane had been told that her husband would die in the next few days.. He let me be angry and frustrated, and when it was HIS time, he moved..

I do not know how this story will end. I pray for a complete miracle.. One that allows Mike to watch his girls grow up and always remember this mricale in their lives.. A miracle that all of us have been praying for and continue to pray for.

1 comment:

Caryn Kirk said...

Wow. I've got friends, with one daughter Harper's age -- former missionaries -- and he has a brain tumor... just diagnosed last week as terminal. Less than a year to live. I know that lots of prayer doesn't earn anything. It's such a paradox. Almost makes you want to not pray at all. This was a good story to hear.