Tuesday, August 21, 2007

2 days down and 178 to go...

Well, I have completed 2 days of the school year and the start was not as smooth as I would have liked. Things are slowly improving, but this was one of the most rocky starts I have ever had. I actually emailed Rick early Monday morning and said that I would not return to my school next year. This is the only school I have taught at, and I feel like I am a team player, but no one told me another group was using the auditorium on the first day, so I wrote my lesson plans for that space. I found out during homeroom that another groups was using it and I had to rewrite lesson plans during the first hour of school. The day improved as it went along, but it was a tough start.
I love my advanced class, but because they know me so well, they are going to be tough to handle. They think they can get away with more stuff and I have to make sure they are occupied at all times or the are loud and hard to calm down. My drama 1 classes are interesting and have a diverse mix of kids in them. I enjoy the mix and I think it is interesting how the dynamics of personalities will change as we progress through the year.
My computer is finally working, but the air conditioner in my classroom is still not working... not good in 100 degree heat. Fortunately, I have been able to move to other classes to get the kids out of the heat!
I need to read some of the kids' first writings tonight to gauge their thoughts and their ability levels. This is going to be an interesting ride.

3 comments:

Rick said...

Sending Moe/Larry/Curly Ice Delivery to your classroom to help with the cooldown, ma'am. :)

Too_Lively said...

I hate it that this year is beginning with such difficulty for you! I knew teaching was hard just based on what I have seen from my kids' teachers, but I am learning a lot from your firsthand experience.

I feel like sending our current teachers flowers or something.

vstilwell said...

thanks for the thoughts.. this has been a bad start, but it is improving...